Friday, May 28, 2010

Friday, April 30 Livorno, Italy














































Livorno is the port used for Florence, Pisa and Lucca. We chose to visit the latter two. Just to make sure the tower hadn't fallen over. In the primary area of Pisa were the Baptistry, the Church and the Bell Tower (the leaning tower). And lots of people!



The shot of me is with my oxygen unit - the Inogen One. It's called a personal oxygen concentrator. Takes in ambient air, pressurizes it and pumps it through a filter-of-sorts where the nitrogen stays in the machine (to be released later) and releases oxygen (and also polluting gases) to the breather (me) when I inhale. But it works and is portable - it's on small (4 inch) plastic wheels-it prefers a smooth surface. Which it doesn't always get. It runs off batteries - depending on how much huffing and puffng -1 1/2 to 2+ hours per battery - so I have to make sure I have enough batteries. With the spare batteries it weighs about 25 pounds - a one arm carry up and down steps isn't a lot of fun. I get lots of looks and sometimes questions from people who have a parent that needs oxygen.

No comments: