Friday, May 21, 2010

Third day in Rome, April 17
















Hey - I've made a little progress. I'm putting words on the pictures. I still don't know how to get them ina desired order. But if I title them - I don't have to. Clever for an old man!! I really rubber-necked around - there is so much to see that I'd read about and wondered about. The colliseum is a wonder - whether you look at it from the outside or look at the floor and the seating. Imagine doing that without modern equipment. Of course, slaves were cheap - and expendable. The Greeks were artists that the Romans like to emulate, but the Romans were engineers and builders. I am always amazed. The Trevi Fountain - of Three Coins in the Fountain fame - is trully amazing. I put in one coin - don't especially want to come back. The church statuary, ceilings and walls are always amazing - even in the lesser known buildings. The 100 year old monument to a past king and encompassing a museum was one of the most beautiful and awe inspiring buildings.










One of the reasons I wear my Ga Tech cap is that it sometimes gets questions. But not this waiter - he was a US sports buff. The University of Miami was "his" team. He carried a golf ball around in his pocket - his favorite sport. By the way, I saw a "Buzz" on some guys luggage in our last hotel in Rome. Didn't have time to talk, however

No comments: